logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kdvberg  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 12:40:57 PM(UTC)
kdvberg

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It looks like the modular controller from Palette would work well with vMix. However, I am unable to find anyone online who has talked about doing it. I am most curious about the slider, getting it to work with the fade bar.

Has anyone tried this? Please let me know if you have or have any reason why it would or wouldn't work.

Thanks!
thanks 1 user thanked kdvberg for this useful post.
stigaard on 7/12/2016(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:34:23 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
The product doesn't ship until this month (July 2016), so the odds are very few have tried it yet. B&H is backordered with August 2016 shipping.

Does look very interesting, however this statement from the Hardware FAQ

Quote:
Why does my Palette seem to go to sleep after a few seconds?

By design, Palette is meant to go to sleep after 20 seconds to prevent the screen image from burning the core module out. Using a module will both apply the assigned function and wake up the screen.

Perhaps that function can be turned off/modified.

thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
kdvberg on 7/12/2016(UTC)
kdvberg  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 2:57:28 PM(UTC)
kdvberg

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
The product doesn't ship until this month (July 2016), so the odds are very few have tried it yet. B&H is backordered with August 2016 shipping.

Does look very interesting, however this statement from the Hardware FAQ

Quote:
Why does my Palette seem to go to sleep after a few seconds?

By design, Palette is meant to go to sleep after 20 seconds to prevent the screen image from burning the core module out. Using a module will both apply the assigned function and wake up the screen.

Perhaps that function can be turned off/modified.

Hmm, that is a bit concerning. Not really sure what "...prevent the screen image from burning the core module out" means but I Really don't want a USB wake-up lag every time I adjust something. Thanks for finding this!
kdvberg  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 11:52:09 AM(UTC)
kdvberg

I just ordered a kit plus extra buttons. With what I have learned this should work really well. B&H currently has stock and they tell me I will have it Friday. It will be a few weeks before I can fully test it as the parts for the PC are coming standard delivery.

I will update this post when I learn more.
kdvberg  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:21:11 AM(UTC)
kdvberg

I finished the build this weekend and I am happy to report that the palette gear controller works with vMix! The big one for me is having a physical slider and it works really well. The one downside is that it looks like I will have to keep the app from palette running in the background though. After running tests I shut down vMix and saw the app still open. When I closed it all of the colors I had configured on the controller went to white, restarted it and all my colors are back.

As far as the 'sleep' question I was concerned about that is a non-issue. Yes the little screen goes dark on the core of the controller after 20 seconds but there is zero delay when I move the slider to start a fade. It is smooth and responsive!

I have not done any live production yet as the install is still a few weeks out at church but I wanted to let everyone know that this looks like a good way to get a physical slider for vMix.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:34:28 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ kdvberg

Curious to know if is seen by vMix as a MIDI device and behaves accordingly (for mapping) and remains fully operational when vMix main GUI is not the 'active window'?

Ice
RoboST  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:16:58 AM(UTC)
RoboST

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
looks very interesting
kdvberg  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:37:12 PM(UTC)
kdvberg

IceStream wrote:
@ kdvberg

Curious to know if is seen by vMix as a MIDI device and behaves accordingly (for mapping) and remains fully operational when vMix main GUI is not the 'active window'?

Ice

@ Ice

I will test it out and let you know. Really busy week for me so it may be the weekend before I can test it (I have to set it all back up as it does not have a "home" until the install)

What I can tell you is that I set up the Palette controller as MIDI and mapped within vMix as a MIDI device. I had to restart vMix after configuring the palette controller in order for vMix to see the device.

I can list the function and setting that worked later too.
kdvberg  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2016 9:59:02 AM(UTC)
kdvberg

@ Ice
More good news. I have vMix in the background of this browser and I can stop typing and, without moving focus back to vMix, move the slider - vMix is responding in the background!

I also put a shortcut in the startup folder for both the Palette app and vMix, rebooted the computer and waited for everything to load up (like 30 seconds from cold) and it all works as expected!

To start I only have a total of 6 buttons but will get more depending on needs as we get up and running. It came with a knob too that I mapped to master volume but not sure I need that at all.

I guess the next big question is can I control the colored lights on this controller with the new feature in vMix 18? I will test it as soon as they roll it out to the public.

For now this thing is doing everything I hoped it would do!
SportsNetUSA.net  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2016 2:05:26 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
You've lead the way with the Palette controller. Something that more vMix users may look into buying.
kdvberg  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2016 8:55:19 AM(UTC)
kdvberg

Install is almost complete!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I am using the Palette Controller for a physical slide but also for easy preview of our inputs. Button on the far left is "quickplay", Slider is for manual transition, then the other five buttons preview our five inputs in order from one to five. We go "live" Sunday morning so I only have tonight and tomorrow to iron out the last issues. It will be interesting to see if we need more buttons. I love that you can just add to this controller as needed. Well done Palette.
alexbyrd  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 1:54:01 PM(UTC)
alexbyrd

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
kdvberg how did it all go? is it great to use in reality?

Just got my Palette system in the UK to try out with one of our vMix systems.

My impression is that going the midi route is good to get maximum control options in vmix. Are other palette users using it in a better way?

I have gone with 5 buttons , 1 slide, 2 rotaries

I have asked palette if we can send midi back to it to control the lights - to show whats cut up for example.
ovinas  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 8, 2017 5:48:51 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I like the modular concept allowing you to add and rearrange controls. But around 300$ for 6 buttons, 1 slider and 1 rotary?
So I went for a 70$ Novation LaunchControl. 8 big buttons, 4 small buttons and 16 rotaries. LED control by vMix activators.

One of my setups:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

M = Master audio bus
A = A audio bus
B = B audio bus
H = Headphone audio bus
M1 = Audio input 1 from MOTU interface
M2 = Audio input 2 from MOTU interface
Note = Input 11 music/MP3
T = T-Bar
1-6 = Inputs 1-6, default green, program out red