logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Speegs  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2015 1:08:21 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hello,

I've found some cool information on my midi device.

https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.c...mini_midi.jpg?1421447412

Shows all the codes and how to turn the lights on/off.

eg: 90 00 00 turns button 0 off 90 00 01 turns it to green.

I guess what I'm asking for is a way to link that back from VMix. So right now you can control VMix via midi, but when you mute input 1. It would be REALLY nice if Vmix could send feedback to the midi device.

So when you are programming an action, you can return a status as well.

So on input 1 mute send midi code xx xx xx. It would take the midi support to the next level.

Input 1 in Program send midi code yy yy yy and so on. Essentially the opposite of how assigning the midi keys work. Where you assign midi codes to actions/events in Vmix.

Watch out: Someone could end up using VMix to drive one of that Crazy XMAS displays that is synchronized to music and a giant video wall next. (I'd just be happy with controlling lights on the APC Mini).

Keep in mind there could be a few different possibilities like 3 colours and the ability to Blink. I imagine all the other AKAI controllers work in much the same way.

thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
madness on 9/4/2015(UTC)
ClementN  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2015 1:30:17 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Yes. This is very usefull in live moments
thanks 1 user thanked ClementN for this useful post.
madness on 9/4/2015(UTC)
ewing453  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 9:21:02 PM(UTC)
ewing453

I noticed the lights were working on the Akai controller they used for the October live stream. Any help on how to do this guys?
jaredquinn  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2015 1:31:20 AM(UTC)
jaredquinn

ewing453 wrote:
I noticed the lights were working on the Akai controller they used for the October live stream. Any help on how to do this guys?

Bump on this one.

I just purchased myself a Behringer CMD DV-1; it does the job perfectly, but I would love to have MIDI return codes to change the lights to correspond with the active input.

Jared
CraftByte  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2015 5:41:06 PM(UTC)
CraftByte

I too want this feature, if possible.
I got a KORG nanoKONTROL2 for our audio mixing and showing stuff like mute and solo indicators would really help.
madness  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 11:23:44 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Plus1!
pba  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2015 4:49:38 PM(UTC)
pba

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Plus 1! I have a Behringer Xtouch mini, and works very well with vmix. But actually I can't activate the lamps... It can be a very good feedback for the operator.
epicenter800  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 1:02:17 AM(UTC)
epicenter800

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Me too, please!
jhebbel  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 12:58:32 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I have a script in the 3rd party dev thread that shows how to do MIDI feedback yourself that is worth a look, includes code for the Akai APC 40 MK1. But I also would like to see this rolled into vMix

http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=5402

This can be adapted for any MIDI device.
Psing  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:16:17 AM(UTC)
Psing

Man

+ 1

This feature would be very nice and useful.
jhebbel  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:13:38 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

I think the hard part here is getting midi feedback that is any sort of usefulness will need to involve some sort of user scripting and they developed the API with no feedback abilities whatsoever, a point that I touched upon in a previous topic when trying to fetch information on current live input and being forced to parse the XML document to do so. The class objects for inputs only contains abstract methods to run functions, no "feedback" of any sort.

For example I can set an input by Input.Find("MyInput") but in a standard object oriented environment I should also be able to GET the current input via Input.Active.Name, this would all flow into a built in midi class pretty easily by subscribing to an event in the Input class and calling the midi feedback methods.

The alternative would be vMix to have hard coded logic and options which could cripple its usefulness much like the abstract methods and "function" methodology cripples the API.

Dunno, just thinking "out loud".
tdurhamjr  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:15:32 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Just found this thread. I have had an APC Mini for some time but just now finding the need to use it. The programming is a non issue but what brought me here was trying to figure out how to turn the lights on/off. I will go back and look at the link posted above, but it appears that the lights on/off is not integrated with vMix, just the button functionality, is that correct?
jhebbel  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:29:03 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

tdurhamjr wrote:
Just found this thread. I have had an APC Mini for some time but just now finding the need to use it. The programming is a non issue but what brought me here was trying to figure out how to turn the lights on/off. I will go back and look at the link posted above, but it appears that the lights on/off is not integrated with vMix, just the button functionality, is that correct?

Correct, at preset you must use 3rd party tools to enable feedback or midi return.
tdurhamjr  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:51:00 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Speegs wrote:
Hello,

I've found some cool information on my midi device.

https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.c...mini_midi.jpg?1421447412

Shows all the codes and how to turn the lights on/off.

eg: 90 00 00 turns button 0 off 90 00 01 turns it to green.

I guess what I'm asking for is a way to link that back from VMix. So right now you can control VMix via midi, but when you mute input 1. It would be REALLY nice if Vmix could send feedback to the midi device.

So when you are programming an action, you can return a status as well.

So on input 1 mute send midi code xx xx xx. It would take the midi support to the next level.

Input 1 in Program send midi code yy yy yy and so on. Essentially the opposite of how assigning the midi keys work. Where you assign midi codes to actions/events in Vmix.

Watch out: Someone could end up using VMix to drive one of that Crazy XMAS displays that is synchronized to music and a giant video wall next. (I'd just be happy with controlling lights on the APC Mini).

Keep in mind there could be a few different possibilities like 3 colours and the ability to Blink. I imagine all the other AKAI controllers work in much the same way.

@speegs
I have the APC mini as well. Did you ever figure out the return codes and using the lights? I noticed that jhebbel had actually compiled some code for the APC40 but it seems that will not work for the APC Mini. Hoping you made some headway on this :)
Tim
tdurhamjr  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:52:50 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

jhebbel wrote:
tdurhamjr wrote:

Correct, at preset you must use 3rd party tools to enable feedback or midi return.

Are you able to compile code for the APC Mini?
ber142  
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 7:19:08 AM(UTC)
ber142

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
+1
jhebbel  
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 8:00:42 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

tdurhamjr wrote:
jhebbel wrote:
tdurhamjr wrote:

Are you able to compile code for the APC Mini?

The mini isn't documented very well, The best I have found is this:
UserPostedImage

But since I dont own the mini I have no way to know its accuracy, but I have the code posted in the other thread, feel free to tinker.
pop  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 7:02:03 PM(UTC)
pop

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+1
BETech  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 1:37:22 PM(UTC)
BETech

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 71 post(s)
+1. Clearly a lot of interest for having such a feature, since the AKAI APC40 MKII and the Numark Orbit are used by so many Users, including the vMix team. Not to mention all the other Midi Control Surfaces. A simple scripting function such as : API.Function(“MidiDataTX”,,StatusByte,,DataByte1,,DataByte2)

StatusBtye = The Note ON/OFF & the Midi Channel
DataByte1 = The Note Number (1-127)
DataByte2 = The Velocity Value (1-127)

It certainly would bring life into all those control surfaces. All those LEDs awaiting the commands.

APC40MK2 RGB Velocity Color Chart courtesy of TechHipp Entertainment.

UserPostedImage