logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2015 2:44:18 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Wasn't sure which forum to post this in, but here is a good example on how VMIX can sit at the heart of any production environment. I didn't put it in projects as this post maybe more of interest on people evaluating the true power of VMIX.

Here we have VMIX running on an i7 X99 based board, 16GB DDR4, GTX960, with 2 x Decklink Quad input cards (Giving 8 live inputs - Cameras 1-5, Key & Fill from a CasparCG graphics providing legacy graphics whilst porting over to VMIX, and finally a Skype TX Box).

Output is provided by a Decklink Duo Card - one output provides the full 1080i for broadcast, the second provides a 576i output which can be used without downscaling on old SD floor monitors etc.

Audio input from 4 x Wireless Mics, 2 x Studio Mics, and 2 x Analog Telephone Balancing Units is provided by a Zoom R16 Digital Audio Interface. As well as the direct 8 channel USB feed to the VMIX mainframe, the stereo mixed audio from the Zoom R16 is also embedded (Using Blakmagic Mini Converters) onto channels 1 and 2 of Camera 1.

A 16 x 16 Blackmagic MicroHub sits between all inputs and outputs, providing a full fail-safe should the VMIX mainframe fail (and also why we embed the stereo mix on the camera 1 input so basic sound can be maintained if VMIX fails). The MicroHub also has enough spare outputs that we use it effectively as a distribution amp to floor monitors etc.

The VMIX also provides a full talkback (Presenter In Ear, Guest In Ear, and producer talkback to phone calls, skype calls, and a proprietary web based 2-way webcam platform that runs as a flash component on an VMIX input). Talkback uses USB headsets for the production crew (gallery have DT109 headsets with $3 USB mic/headphone audio dongles), and a dual channel IEM wireless system for presenter and guest talkback. All is handled and routed via VMIX. (A left = Presenter Talkback, A right = Guest Talkback, B L+R = Clean feed return for telephones, Webcams, and Skype).

Audio is generally all ASIO (using ASIO4ALL) for the WDM devices, and is routed around the VMIX platform using Virtual Audio Cables.

The VMIX mainframe supports 4 monitors, vMix, multi-view (full Screen 1), studio plasmas (full screen 2), and a spare desktop used for 'administration' / desktop capture type applications (Typically to bring a website onto the bus).

We have also integrated a VoIP client into Vmix for taking on-air calls, as well as 2-way webcam calls, and 2 way Skype audio and/or video calls.

The final piece of the magic is the control surface - a 27" touch screen monitor using its own 'Micro' $99 PC running our custom 'surface' software. Which can control not just the VMIX, but the Black Magic Video Hub, Blackmagic Hyperdecks, SONY VTR's, The hold TBU's, Sony VISCA remote camera heads, Caspar GC, Playbox Titlebox, Airbox, indeed any RS232, RS422, RS485 or Ethernet based equipment can be added - total control. We also have live SMS text messages to screen, and a 'voicemail' playback system bolted into VMIX.

We have the surface laid out like a traditional single M/E switcher, with a delegate row, allowing multi-view (up stream keyers) and downstream keyers to be selected on their own row (much like the official hardware surface - but you can switch multi-view inputs just as easily as switching DSK's, so switching cameras in a muli-view composites doesn't require setting up multiple, multi -view inputs.

If anybody is interested in the schematics / block diagram, just drop me a note - we have found some VERY interesting ways to use VMIX to do things it wasn't meant to do.

Photo of our Gallery enclosed.

All The Best

Keith

kgoodyer attached the following image(s):
IMG_0296-sml.jpg (190kb) downloaded 98 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 4 users thanked kgoodyer for this useful post.
Zetor1980 on 7/15/2016(UTC), stigaard on 7/15/2016(UTC), Lennart on 7/15/2016(UTC), mjgraves on 7/15/2016(UTC)
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2015 11:01:18 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Absolutely outstanding Keith! You've obviously put a lot of thought and work into this. My biggest curiosity would be along the lines of your 'Talkback' system, it seems pretty elaborate and you don't mention anything about 'Tallys', how have you accommodated that?
I love your custom "touch screen" control surface concept, although, I have to admit, I'm having trouble migrating away from an actual tactile board (I guess I am just old school)

Well done my friend, keep us all posted as to all of the great things you are doing with vMix.

Ice
Stealth77  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2015 4:48:38 PM(UTC)
Stealth77

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Keith
I think many will be interesting to your circuit connection and use vmix. I will not be wrong if you ask to publish it here to see prices.
macgiver76  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2015 12:27:11 AM(UTC)
macgiver76

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Keith
Congratulations for the construction.
I would like more details on the surface of touch-screen control, how it was done?
Another question: why use Asio for All and does not use directly in the driver Asio Vmix? There is a valid reason?

Thank you.
kgoodyer  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2015 8:15:10 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Here are some block diagrams that hopefully explain things a bit - they are not 100% up to date. This diagram uses the regular WDM audio drivers.

(block diagrams to follow - sorry trying to find a format I can upload them in)
Keith
r@wisla  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2015 6:56:10 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
kgoodyer wrote:
Here are some block diagrams (...)

...where...? :)

Your setup is awesome, thank You for sharing this. I'm sure many of us will learn from this a lot.

I have two questions.

1. Exactly what CPU Your main PC is using?

2. Talkback question. What are Presenter and Guest hearing in their ear?

(P.S. I guess this thread should be in Showcase section)
kgoodyer  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2015 11:19:33 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Your probably right, this should have been in the showcase section, but that tended to be full of peoples finished productions, but I thought this thread may turn into a technical discussion about what else you could do with VMIX (The off label applications) - like the Talkback.

In simple terms the talkback uses the A and B audio buses (Unused in most applications). The presenter can hear ANY VMIX audio that is selected on the A bus, and the Guest can hear anything on the B bus. The producer can hear either programme output or the solo of any channel. By using our external control surface we can set up any required combination of audio routing to achieve the talback functionality. This includes a 'TALK' button, which when pressed, will MUTE all selected talkback inputs to the presenter, and replace with JUST the producers audio, whist simultaneously placing the presenters microphone on SOLO so the producer can have a two-way conversation with the presenter (providing the presenters mic is not on air - on the MASTER bus). In truth you can set the talkback up ANY way you need it.

In truth we ended up putting the Presenter and Guest talkback on the the LEFT and RIGHT channels of BUS A, and use BUS B in a similar way, but to provide a clean feed to telephone balancing units, the internal VoIP clients, the Internal Skype client, the External Skype TX box, and other external communication channels.

Here is a short list of the kit I used (excluding outboard stuff like keyboards, monitor and mice)

Main VMIX PC
1 x Asus X99-DELUXE Socket 2011-v3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
1 x Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30GHz Socket 2011v3 15MB Cache
1 x Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 120mm Radiator/2x120mm Silencio Fans CPU Liquid Cooler
1 x Corsair Dominator Platinum Airflow Platinum 16GB Kit (4x4GB) DDR4 3200mhz 1.35v Standard Dimm
1 x Zotac GTX 960 2GB DDR5 Dual-link DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
2 x BlackMagic Design Decklink Quad PCIe Cards
1 x Blackmagic Design Decklink Duo Dual PCIe Cards
1 x Zoom R16 Digital Audio Interface
2 x External USB Audio Interfaces (For Talkback)

Panel PC
1 x Quad core Atom Micro PC, 2Gb with Intel HD Graphics (> $100)
1 x ACER 27" Touchscreen Monitor (1920 x 1080).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...-6&keywords=micro+pc

All The Best

Keith
w14  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2015 3:10:52 PM(UTC)
w14

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Can I add my thanks for posting this. Can I ask - what are the external USB audio interfaces you're using for talkback? Do you have these plugged into separate USB busses?
kgoodyer  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2015 4:38:33 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

I'm just using these, with DT109 headsets, and for the In Ear Presenter earpeice, just using the output. I have them pugged directly into the VMIX motherboard. You coulduse the line out of the PC, but I prefer to keep that as the default windows sound device for non VMIX operations (i.e. sound device for ringing on Skype).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...ywords=usb+audio+adapter

However any USB audio i/o device will do, if you want there are some professional ones for around $80 with 6.3mm (1/4") Jack and XLR interfaces. As they do a dual 3.5mm jack PC (Headphones & Mic) cable for the DT109's on a 3m lead, so these were simple and cheep. (mind you I have a DC biasing issue with the the DT109 microphone - not affecting performance).

I will be honest with you, getting the sound and talkback routing took me a while to work out, but it all works and saved having to buy a separate talkback / communications platform.

Keith
Speegs  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2015 5:58:13 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Very nice setup. Very custom, but very nice :)
mrjoe  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:09:01 AM(UTC)
mrjoe

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
my compliments,
I would be interested in the software that uses the touch screen and the schematics / block diagram.
thanks you
Giorgio
macgiver76  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:52:36 PM(UTC)
macgiver76

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I can not understand how you made the interface of the touch screen monitor.
Thank you.
mrjoe  
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:03:54 PM(UTC)
mrjoe

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
up?
Bandit62  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 12:06:06 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I like this control surface...wish i could get that software, even if it a cut-down version......it looks great...any chance of us having this to purchase soon?
JimJacobs  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 12:17:50 AM(UTC)
JimJacobs

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Keith...very impressive set up. Looks great and appears to be highly functional. My interest is your touch CS. I'd like to know how/who developed it, and if it's available to others? We are retooling our sports production trailer and this looks like a good solution for not only our main vMix system, but for the instant replay system as well.
Lennart  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 9:28:46 AM(UTC)
Lennart

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
That's super impressive! A diagram over the system could be great to see :)