logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 9:37:37 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I'm having some troubles for some time already with YUAN capture cards.

I bought a sc510n4 quad sdi card half a year ago. It worked perfect with our old setup: intel 2600K, asus p8z68 deluxe motherboard, 16gb RAM, gts 450 videocard. The system was just a bit underpowered to handle more then 4-5 inputs.

That's why we bought another setup: xeon e5 2620, MSI X99S XPOWER AC motherboard, AMD rx290x gpu, 16 gb DDR4 RAM.

Both machines work with windows 10, and work perfectly with blackmagic cards.

However, when I put the sc510n4 in the new machine, it immediatly freezes the image when i attach an sdi source.

I tried re-installing the drivers, clean windows installation, changing pcie slots, removing all blackmagic cards and drivers,.. no succes. So in the end i just put it aside and left it for our old setup.

Recently i bought a startech PEXHDCAP capture card, and guess what? Same problem: works perfect on the old setup, but causes bluescreens, crashes, .. on the new one.

This startech card also uses YUAN drivers, it's actually even made by them.

This makes me wonder what the cause may be? I'm not planning to pump the new setup full of expensive blackmagic cards, I love the YUAN cards :)

I didn't find any emailadress for Tech support of YUAN yet, so I thought to ask first here, who knows someone has had the same trouble?

FYI I included a detailed hardware report of the system in attachment.
File Attachment(s):
SLASH9PC.txt (264kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 10:23:17 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Have you tried the latest drivers here?
http://yuan.com.tw/en/ma...mixdriver/vmixdriver.htm

Otherwise there might be some faulty hardware, try doing a memory test.
Ittaidv  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:34:30 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

admin wrote:
Have you tried the latest drivers here?
http://yuan.com.tw/en/ma...mixdriver/vmixdriver.htm

Otherwise there might be some faulty hardware, try doing a memory test.

Yep, it's those drivers that were installed, and the memory test (cmd > mdsched.exe) returned no errors at all :(
Ittaidv  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2015 2:16:56 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Anyone who knows how to contact the technical support of YUAN? I could only find a sales inquiry email adress on their website.

I did all possible hardware tests on the machine: memory, videocard benchmark, installed Sandra to get an overview of possible errors on the machine, swapped videocards,.. No result. Guess it's something for people who are more expert on this matter.
stevespaw  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2015 10:07:41 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
I have had the exact same issue.
I emailed them about the issue and they just replied that my new motherboard was not supported.

Steve

Ittaidv  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2015 7:12:01 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

stevespaw wrote:
I have had the exact same issue.
I emailed them about the issue and they just replied that my new motherboard was not supported.

Steve

If they reply at all, I hope that's not going to be their answer.. My motherboard is perfectly functional, works with other brands of cards and was very expensive. If their cards only work with some motherboards, they have to publish a list, or at least provide a little bit more information on their website. I don't think many people want to start gambling with buying expensive motherboards to see if they're compatible or not.
Ittaidv  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2015 9:34:03 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

I sent them a mail and a Facebook message. The mail was not answered,but the Facebook guy responded, and after not answering my question 3 times, but returning questions that showed he didn't really read my message, i got the answer: your motherboard is not supported.

This is weird, i'm not a super pro, but i guess magewell, blackmagic, yuan,.. all rely on more or less the same technology. So it might be a matter of writing drivers that actually work with the newest chipsets. The answer: it doesn't work, might then be replaced with: we don't (want) to support it.

This is odd, since their website shows nothing but a vague system requirment with some windows versions, nothing further about hardware.

Anyway, we're going to look out for Magewell cards now, and keep the cards in the older computer. I don't think I will buy Yuan products again...

h2video.nl  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2015 1:49:55 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I met the yuan people on ibc last month. having similar problems with a 4 times hdmi capture card, not the 2 hdmi and sdi cards (yet).

i have now thrown out the 4*hdmi yuan card and replaced them with bm cards. so far so good.

will contact them again and ask about the drivers and testing.

a combination of bm anf yuan might also be an issue. did you check a yuan only setup.

also important to install the yuan drivers prior to installing the cards aparently...

stefan
Ittaidv  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2015 11:30:29 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

h2video.nl wrote:
I met the yuan people on ibc last month. having similar problems with a 4 times hdmi capture card, not the 2 hdmi and sdi cards (yet).

i have now thrown out the 4*hdmi yuan card and replaced them with bm cards. so far so good.

will contact them again and ask about the drivers and testing.

a combination of bm anf yuan might also be an issue. did you check a yuan only setup.

also important to install the yuan drivers prior to installing the cards aparently...

stefan

I did a clean install again today, with no capture cards installed. Then installed the Yuan drivers and inserted the card after a reboot. No success :( But thanks for the info anyway, it was worth a try :)

Anyway, today I mailed with Karsten from Innomedia, where we bought the card. He is very helpful and seems to have the contacts with the Yuan engineers. It's off course no guarantee to succes, but he looked into it well and will for sure do an effort. Which we appreciate a lot :)
Ittaidv  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2015 7:51:14 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

I got an answer trough Karsten, who was very helpful and contacted the YUAN engineers for me. If in need of Yuan cards, we know where to go :)

It appears the sc510n4 is not compatible with X99 chipsets on motherboards. I think this information should be out there, since there is almost no info about these cards anywhere on the internet. Since the startech card also doesn't work, I think it's a common problem for all capture cards sharing the same drivers on the YUAN page. The Startech uses exactly the same hardware as the SC 500 N1 card. They're all based on a Philips chip, if my driver analysis software is right.

Yuan has an alternative though: the SC542N4 are compatible with X99 motherboard chips.

I'm not 100% sure if we will go for these cards, since I need to research their capabilities. But at least now I know we can forget about ever installing our existing YUAN technology cards into our new computer.