logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fortsquarechurch  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:03:51 AM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

Groups: Registered

Hello there!

I use vMix to film Worship Services in my church.

We have been spending the whole summer trying to figure out this system.

The one big problem we have is that when we try to film from our camcorder using a Honestech VidBox 5.0, we get an extremely blurry videos!

Is there any solutions we can use to solve the problem of blurry images because our videos are publicized because we don't have it the way we like it.

Is there a setting we should be using we don't know about?

Here's a video of our service to show how fuzzy it is.

The sound is clipping, but we have someone already trying to fix the connection between the laptop and sound board.

Thank you!

Zach
Speegs  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 8:32:27 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
There isn't really enough information to go on.

What Camcorder are you using?

I suspect you may have an aspect ratio setup wrong or video mode (PAL or NTSC or sometimes it says video lines) and although the video file uploaded to youtube was full HD. I don't believe that capture box is helping your production (it can't do full HD).

It's designed to move from VHS to Computer, so is really a basic PAL or NTSC capture device. So you can't expect too much from it. (From what I saw it wasn't set right, but I don't know what right is for your camera it just needs to match).

So from that limited information.. I suggest getting a Full HD Camcorder (if you are not already using one, it would have a Mini HDMI port usually). Then getting one of these:

http://www.magewell.com/usb-capture-hdmi

It will take a nice digital HDMI signal from the camera and if the rest of your hardware is up to the task (You need USB 3, decent CPU/Video). You should get a picture into VMix that is as nice as what the camera can do. If you do not have HDMI on your camcorder, get a new one. They are pretty cheap these days.

The reason I recommend the Magewell capture device is not because it's the cheapest. It's got an in built scaler and works without drivers (using a universal webcam driver in Windows). Perfect for a Pro or some who doesn't really care about interlaced/non-interlaced and all that video speak so much. The scaler does it's best to make things GO even if you are not using the perfect mode or frame rate right through.

fortsquarechurch  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 9:14:50 AM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

@Speegs

I have an insignia 720p late 2010.

It's mounted on a tripod. I have the Composite cable connected to the back of the camera, connected to the Honestech box, then the usb side connected from the Honestech to a usb extension then to the computer via vMix.

For the setup, I make it 640x480 screen resolution with a default input. I have not where on the page to select the aspect ratio so I do what it gives me.

Is there something I am missing in that setup?

Zach
Speegs  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 9:49:13 AM(UTC)
Speegs

fortsquarechurch wrote:
@Speegs

I have an insignia 720p late 2010.

It's mounted on a tripod. I have the Composite cable connected to the back of the camera, connected to the Honestech box, then the usb side connected from the Honestech to a usb extension then to the computer via vMix.

For the setup, I make it 640x480 screen resolution with a default input. I have not where on the page to select the aspect ratio so I do what it gives me.

Is there something I am missing in that setup?

Zach

If your camera is 720p it will be a 16:9 aspect ratio camera.

I have not used your capture device, but go for a 16:9 and ratio here: https://pacoup.com/2011/...of-true-169-resolutions/

Green ones are more common resolutions.

So 640x480 is a 4:3 ratio. (Not widescreen and therefore wrong so it has to add black areas/bars or stretch the picture unevenly, both not ideal).

You want the highest resolution your capture device works with, that is a 16:9 ratio. Maybe 768x432 if that is an option, it should at least do 640x360 I hope.

16:9 Resolutions are here https://pacoup.com/2011/...of-true-169-resolutions/

I still recommend getting a better capture device. Even though your camera is HD (720p) and not Full HD (1080p). You can get a HDMI capture device and then capture at 720p. (which is 1280x720 pixels)

You will have a much better result. Then your next upgrade could be the camera (but upgrade your capture device FIRST).

So your current camera has "Mini HDMI connection for viewing your videos on an HDTV". That's what you want to use a capture device that can accept that output. Mini HDMI can be converted to full size HDMI with a cheap cable.

On Camcorders... seriously think about a 1080 50i capable camcorder. They exist at low budgets, they may not have superior low light, stabilization and zooming performance in the cheaper ones.

Examples: http://camcorders.topten...sony-hdr-cx-details.html

So $200-$400 will get something better and it will be noticeable if you have the capture equipment first. I'm not suggesting a $1,000+ camera as I imagine you are on a tight budget.
fortsquarechurch  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:04:56 AM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

Thank you!

We have no budget right now, the last thing we want to do is buy new stuff. We may not have the budget until next year.

So I will just try your suggestions first and then if needed, we would try other stuff.

Thanks.
Speegs  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:38:46 AM(UTC)
Speegs

fortsquarechurch wrote:
Thank you!

We have no budget right now, the last thing we want to do is buy new stuff. We may not have the budget until next year.

So I will just try your suggestions first and then if needed, we would try other stuff.

Thanks.

AverMedia make some cheaper capture devices. They work well for most people (are well tested), but do not have a video scaler inbuilt and do need drivers that come with it of course.

If your using a computer with a free PCIe Slot and not a laptop, they are a decent choice.

It should be around $150 or less depending on the model.

Check http://www.vmix.com/soft.../supported-hardware.aspx for the various AverMedia supported capture devices and watch for a special.

Anyway that's assuming a "small" budget suddenly appears. Next week your production could be the next Internet sensation :)
fortsquarechurch  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:51:50 AM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

We use laptops in our Sanctuary, we have 2 laptops, one running Windows 8.1 and that's a Dell D4350, the other is an HP EliteBook 6930p running Windows 10. The Dell has the power points, the HP is used for vMix.

We use laptops for a reason. We lock up all technology because we have a history of burglary. So we take no more chances since our previous laptop was stolen.
Kelvin  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2015 9:59:44 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
In the US, most USB capture devices can capture Standard Definition NTSC video at 720x480 as the best resolution - that is what you get out of the composite cable. Then the camera input configuration settings (the cog in the lower right corner of the input) adjust the "Aspect Ratio" settings to get the proper aspect ratio. You may need to focus on some squares or circles to make sure you have the aspect ratio set correctly.

For not too much money, you could purchase a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle to capture the HDMI feed of the camera directly. That will significantly improve your image on the laptop, but may not do much for the webcast depending on your settings.
sinc747  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2015 12:51:48 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Zach,

Here are some other items to check.

1. Is the camera set to "auto-focus" or "manual"? It is possible some of the blurriness is just an out-of-focus condition.
2. The Honestech may not be a very good device. For $35 you can get a similar device (EZCap.tv) that is good (so far as Standard Definition video goes). It is similar to the Honestech... allows the camera to plug in composite (yellow RCA cable) and connects to the laptop via USB2.
3. The Insignia camera is fairly low quality. I'll bet someone in the church has a Canon Vixia camcorder in their closet that they might loan you for a week or two. Then you can try both side-by-side and see if its a camera problem. They might even give it to you since everybody takes videos with their phones now anyway.

Also, there is no sense recording at 1080 in vMix. When vMix upscales your SD video to 1080, it will get grainy, blurry, etc. Try setting vMix's resolution to match the camera's composite output resolution.

Keep testing! Keep trying different things. You might just hit on the right combination and get great results. Or you might just find 100 or so ways that things don't work. That's part of the challenge and learning process.

Good luck and have fun!

- Tom